Darkhouse on Goodreads
Red Fox on Goodreads
Dead Sky Morning on Goodreads
The Benson on Goodreads
Lying Season on Goodreads
On Demon Wings on Goodreads
Old Blood on Goodreads
Into the Hollow on Goodreads


Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Nautical Fashion - St. Tropez Stripes, boating style

Saturday was cloudy, but warm, which left my man and I a bit confused as to what to do with ourselves. I just wanted to do something different, since lazing by the pool was out of the question today and the beach would have been too windy. Something about a beach on a cloudy day just doesn't do it for me (unless it's stormy, then I loves it) - I get bored.

Anyhoo, I knew I had to take my car in for an oil-change since I had been putting it off for a ridiculous amount of time. It was also making these noises, this rumbling of the engine, that only got worse (LOUDER) over the last few months.

So we took it to Mr. Lube, and two hours and $500 later, I came out with a new transmission kit, new air filters, new transmission pan, new radiator and a warning that I need to replace my rusty fuel..thingy...and of course, the oil change.

Le sigh. That definitely put a damper on my spontaneous idea to go to Mexico for a weekend.

After that ordeal, we made our way to Horseshoe Bay in West Vancouver and rented a boat. We had a bottle of wine and a Whole Foods picnic packed up and away we went! The best way to blow steam is to pilot a boat over silken waves, wind whipping in your hair. An hour later we had spotted some seals, drank the entire bottle of wine in 15 minutes and feasted on brown rice sushi. I almost forgot all about my car woes.

Almost.






This is my nautical (power-boating) style...a stripey fedora, striped ASOS shirt, Hudson jeans and Matt Bernson sandals.


















Can't wait till our actual boat is available in a few weeks (we charter it out a lot during the summer)! You can bet there will be tons of photos from there :)


Ah, yes, the contest! It is still going on my fellow fashionistas - Three lovely dresses up for grabs, Forever 21 and Love Yaya from Shopbop (speaking of nautical, have you seen this one?):

Love Yaya Shopbop.com nautical anchor dress Gwen Stefani like

Leave a comment here or in the posts below and you are entered. And remember, if you mention my contest on your blog, that's three entries for you! I will be doing the first draw tomorrow afternoon, so get cracking if you haven't already :P

Your new question (should you choose to accept it) is:

Have you ever lied about the cost of something you've bought? I am mega guilty of this...I'm proud to announce my best deals, but if it's pricey, I tend to subtract the price by 25% or more, lol. If it's to my parents, I subtract the price by 75%!

37 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes, I do this to my husband on a regular basis.

DaisyChain said...

I love your outfit
and the name Mr Lube? Let's just say my inner 12 year old is giggling away.

I always lie about how much things cost to my Dad,
as he dissaproves of my "materialistic nature" as he puts it ;)

Alice said...

hmm... i don't think i do, but mainly because i don't currently have to justify my expenses to anyone. hurrah single life ;-P

Diary of a Young Designer said...

Beautiful pics! I adore just staring at the sea, it's so soothing. Your hat is beautiful!

xo
Sophie

Wanderlusting said...

LOL - oh my boyfriend knows exactly how much things cost - luckily he doesn't care as he spends a lot on crap himself (luckily I don't care) - but even on this blog or with my friends, I feel uncomfortable saying the true price of some items (cuz they can be stupid expensive!) - and to my parents , yes like Daisy's, my dad very much disapproves.

In FACT: this boat ride, I lied to my mom and said it cost $25 (it actually cost $50). She then told my dad and lied about it...said it was free!

Both my mother and I are veterans about lying to my dad about money lol. He doesn't even know I went to Disneyland in Jan, or the Jan before that, he doesn't know I went to Oregon the other weekend and he doesn't know I'm going to Toronto in the summer haha.

Strangely enough, on one day I showed him both my new SLR camera AND my new iPod Touch and he didn't say anything about those *shrug*

Brittney said...

I love your boating oufit. :)

I fudge the truth a bit when it comes to telling my mother. I don't know why I do that since I am an adult but the child in me can never justify how much I spend sometimes.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Cute cute cute fedora!!

TEXTSTYLES said...

gorgeous photos! a day about sea, lovely.

*bisous*

Erica said...

I really have a hard time lying, haha. So no, I haven't lied about the price of an outfit.

The picture with the seal is so adorable. :)

Ashley said...

Oh I've definitely lied about the cost of things, I've made them much less expensive when my BF asks because he is so thrifty and hates when I spend too much on shoes and clothes! I mean, it's just a little white lie right? Nobody gets hurt!

Anna said...

I love the nautical stripes on both hat and top! SO CUTE!

And yes, I almost always lie to my husband about how much things cost, even though he can check our bank and credit statements. This means that sometimes I end up rounding prices up to cover up an illicit purchase. So sad...

Akiamy said...

I always lie to my friends about where I get shoes.

Just because I got it at a stripper store doesn't mean I'm going to take my clothes off. :-)

Couture Carrie said...

You look so cute! Love that hat!

And yes I have definitely "underestimated" the price of $$$$ objets in my closet when asked!

xoxox,
CC

phantasnight said...

I've been having you in my daily-must-read blogs for a while now, but since a freebie is involved ,I just wanted to let you know that I've linked 2 your contest :D:D

As 4 lying about prices, I've tried to 'educate' my folks into not asking me:D, but they seem to forget my teachings from time 2 time, so it only serves them right to sometimes be 'mislead' :D:D:D

Unknown said...

i tend to lie to my parents about the cost of things because they tend to lecture me about shopping and overspending... but i'm always honest to my friends.

lol that's cute you and your mom are in cahoots!

Unknown said...

I'M ON A BOAT! ...I love the close-up with the hat ...you are adorable! love this.

samantha said...

Like so many others, I definitely tell my parents things were less expensive. The new DVF wrap dress I bought? $20 I swear ;) I may also be guilty of telling an old high school friend I ran into that the David Yurman bracelet I bought for myself was bought by my tall, dark, handsome, and slightly non existant boyfriend!

Hillary said...

I told my parents that my Gucci bag was a knock off and cost only $40. MAJOR lie.

Fashion Cappuccino said...

Wow, sounds like a great idea! You look very cute! I'm guilty here as well, I do this only to my parents because they'll be shocked if I tell them the real price. xxoxoxxo

Unknown said...

I love the fedora - I've been Jonesing to buy one.

PinkFleurette said...

My mom has NO idea how much my purse or shoes really cost. I honestly think she'd beat me with a stick if she knew!

allison said...

OH MAN I do this all the time. But I tend to do it in the most ineffective ways... For instance, I will mention to someone that I got something for like $3 when it was actually $5. THEYRE BOTH GOOD. Totally unnecessary of me, I have to stop!

htt://dotluv.blogspot.com

MS said...

Hahah. I always tell my bf that it cost less. If he only knew. Hehe.

Love that striped fedora hat. Where is it from?

Great photos. So pretty.

Dr Wednesday said...

I do!! Oooooh. I love love steals, but sometimes something is mine before I've bought it and no matter what that nasty price tag has to say...

Unknown said...

I don't really need to lie about my expenditures, since I am single. I occasionally need to convince myself that something is an "investment" or that the cost/wear ratio will ultimately make it super-cheap...

Bunny B said...

I don't really lie.. more like avoiding to answer the question :P

Bunny B said...

Blogged for 3 extra entries! http://bunnymoney9.blogspot.com/2009/06/quick-one.html
Thanks!
bunnybx at gmail . com

Anonymous said...

I am loving those sandals - I must google where I can get a pair from. What a great way to spend a day - you seem to always come up with such fun ideas of what to do with your weekends. I'm also very jealous as the weather looks so lovely over there and it is freezing in Sydney at the moment!

muchlove said...

I love your hat.

Karishma said...

OMG u wudn't believe the number of time I have lied about the price of shoes to my parents. For everything else: clothes, bags, jewelry stores like Target, Macy's,Forever 21 n even Walmart work just fine for me but it's the shoes I go crazy over. Still don't have an insane amount of expensive ones since m still studying but you know where I spend it whenever I get my hands on some extra dough :P

Tina { Luphia Loves... } said...

what amazing views!! and love your top! :)

Yuri said...

I love that red striped top!
you look gorgeous in the boat ^^
And that sealion is looking cute ^o^


xoxo,
http://twothousandthings.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

your top is freakin fabulous

FASHION CHALET said...

you're one of those gorgeous girls that wear hats very well! :)




x

Anonymous said...

I love those water pictures! So beautiful!!

Cupcake Blonde said...

I think I need to see about renting a boat on Lake Mead, that looks like fun!

Yes I have lied about how much something was to cover up how much I paid for it.

Passion4Fashion said...

Wow! You are beautiful and I love your style. You have a new follower in me!