Darkhouse on Goodreads
Red Fox on Goodreads
Dead Sky Morning on Goodreads
The Benson on Goodreads
Lying Season on Goodreads
On Demon Wings on Goodreads
Old Blood on Goodreads
Into the Hollow on Goodreads


Thursday, June 18, 2009

Myth of the Maxi Dress - part one




I've noticed women lamenting the world over that maxi dresses are hard to wear. They think if they are short and/or not rail-thin, they won't be able to wear them.

This is nonsense and an utter shame because maxi dresses are uber-flattering...they create long, lean lines. Who doesn't want that?

Think about it. Why are women encouraged to wear the same colour from head to toe? Because it creates the illusion of length. This is what a maxi dress does.

Maybe some of you are afraid that the maxi is a dowdy, unsexy look. This is true... if you are shopping for maxi dresses in the Little House on the Prairie Store. But nowadays, sexy maxis can be found everywhere. Some are strapless, some have sexy thing straps, some have sleeves but sleek and streamlined, elegant styles are abounding this season!

Or perhaps some of you think the maxi is a one-note look. I will quickly tell you...that's wrong!

For example, you may think you can't wear a maxi to work. I thought that too, until I made it work. How?

By pairing it with STRUCTURE. A dress shirt works wonders, as does a blazer or a neat cardigan.



Add a classic belt and delicate but stable shoes...



And you have a look that will take you to work and then cocktails afterwards!



If you really want to channel your inner hippie, that's not so hard to do either. Just add some rockin' aviators (iced coffee, optional).....





Wanting a more sexy, mysterious look that will have all heads turning your way? Try pairing your maxi with exotic jewelry...it's practically made for showcasing your bling!





And lose the belt...nothing is sexier than freedom!


Dress + sunglasses + jewelry: Forever 21; Belt: Thrifted; Sandals: Prada; Shirt: Banana Republic

Last night my man and I decided on an impromptu picnic...the beach is only two blocks downhill from us and yet we never seem to venture there. So glad we did - I really take my city for granted sometimes :)















Anyways, I hope you got something out of this. Remember, I am by no means thin nor tall and yet everytime I wear a maxi I get compliments from people...I've had strangers stop me in the store and tell me they love my dress, I've had parents ask me if I got taller or lost weight...it's great! On that note, nothing goes better with a maxi than super tall platforms! Hidden underneath the dress, you're bound to appear super tall...naturally!

So give maxis a go if you haven't already. I have several already and plan on getting more. Nothing is more comfortable during the summer...it feels like you're hanging out in your nightgown all day, but certainly doesn't have to look it :)



35 comments:

DaisyChain said...

I love maxi dresses,
yours looks stunning on you...and wow, such gorgeous photos!

Kaiti said...

It totally does make you look super tall! I love the straps on that dress too.

I've definitely avoided this style of dress over the years for the very reasons you mentioned. After reading this though, I think that at the very least I'll have to try a few on this summer ...

OmnisLucis said...

these pictures of you are so candid, i love them! i totally agree, i've had compliments every time i wore one of the two i own and they feel so light and airy.

Georgia said...

you speak wisdom. and it looks amazing on you! love the way you've styled it

It would be mine

Fashion Cappuccino said...

You wear the maxi dress so well and that color looks so lovely on you! I don't really like long dresses but it's really tempting to buy one after looking at your photos! xxoxoxo

prettylittletangents said...

I'm with Shin - I feel too short in long dresses but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't right now on forever21.com filling my shopping cart with a few to try :) You look amazing

The Budget Babe said...

dear lord, woman! you took the words right out of my mouth. actually im glad i didnt see your post until after i wrote mine because you worded everything much better. i'll definitely be linking to this in my weekly web round-up :) p.s. you look gorgeous!

Jessi said...

Girl, you are so beautiful!

The maxi is growing on me... when they first showed up on celebs in magazine pics, I thought they were shapeless and unflattering - they were just wearing glorified mumus, lol! Then I started seeing people add things to lend them more shape, like a belt, or the dress itself had a waist... and now I think I'd actually wear one. I'm not exactly a curvy girl, so a long shapeless dress doesn't do much for me.

Jessi said...

And thank you for your ebay offer!! I'm going to check out a couple local stores here in town, and if those don't work out, I just might take you up on your offer :)

Alice said...

haha, as I was reading this I kept saying "yes, but... I feel like I'm wearing a nightgown!!" Every time I try one on, I think how comfy it would be to lounge around my house in one, but haven't been able to convince myself to take the plunge...

Kass said...

That outfit looks awesome on you, relaxed yet uber sexy/cool.

elena-lu said...

im way short and i havent worn a maxi dress but wow you look devine if i look like this then yes im wearing one :)

Unknown said...

gorgeous pics and I adore you outfit it's perfect!!

Noemi Sunshine Ferst said...

Look like a beautiful sunset!
Love that purple on you.
xx.

Sierra said...

I have to agree. I love maxi dresses (I have a tie dyed one that is blue and love it)! It is uber comfortable and if I am having a fat day no one knows...if it is long, then you can simply pull it up while you are walking. It's not too much of a pain. How fun to have a nice picnic with your man! Looking at your pics of the sailboats makes me SOOO excited to go sailing on Saturday! Wait, didn't you say you are too? Have a lot of fun, ok? Anyway, you look beautiful - love the belt as well; I always enjoy your fashion tips. Have a super day love!

Eyeliah said...

Love that maxi, I was on the beach too - so gorgeous yesterday - looks like today too.

believablegiraffe said...

I've never tried a maxi dress, but I am now feeling inspired to do so. And I'm loving your Prada sandals.

Jordan
www.believablegiraffe.blogspot.com

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

Fun post and cool ideas. I do avoid maxis myself...but I think it's a comfort level. Sometimes wearing a new piece for the first time pushes you outside of your comfort level and you have to adjust. :)

Amelia said...

I honestly agree with everything you said here about maxi dresses and yet I still can't imagine myself wearing one. Maybe I should just try one on...

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Sing it sister. I rock them in all my 5'4" glory! You look beyond fab in yours. Great color on you!

MM said...

I love that dress. its gorgeous.
nd the colour looks beautiful on you.

http://www.fashion-intervention.blogspot.com/

Tiana Couture's Addict said...

You are so lucky girl! I just hope I'll view this amazing place one day!
and your dress is so lovely on you

Mom Fashion World said...

hehe...i wore purple too and posted my pictures on my blog.

my dear, you look so gorgeous and girly in that maxi dress! the background is so perfect to your outfit!

Dane said...

You look amazing in that maxi dress! I agree, a lot of people are too afraid to wear maxis but theyre just so feminine and comfortable at the same time. I would trade in most of my jeans for maxi dresses.






www.trustme-itsparadise.blogspot.com

AsianCajuns said...

What an awesome post!
I love your maxi- and I have a few myself because they do make me look a lot taller when I hide my 5 inch platforms underneather ;)
In fact, I just a maxi dress from Walmart (I know, the devil) the other day for $15 and it is super flattering.

ps- do you live in heaven? that scenery is gorgeous!

MS said...

Maxi dresses are my staple summber outfit. I LOVE them and have way too many! Love the deep purple on you. Forever 21? I may have to go buy that dress today!

Wow, those are some gorgeous photos of the water. I love that area. So pretty.

Alya said...

I enjoy seeing maxi dresses on some people, as not everyone can pull it off.

I cant see myself wearing them though.. Not anytime soon though.

Anonymous said...

dig the belt idea! very cute!

Ela said...

Love this dress on you!

Fantastic view, B.C. is breathtaking! Let's see, in Toronto we've got...the CN Tower...and yeah, that's about it LOL.

~Ela
http://mydesignerfinds.com

Clarity said...

Thanks for your cool comment, you would have loved it.

I totally agree, I am a maxi girl (does that sound right? :) ), comfortwise - ace. The mini is old and people really underestimate the appeal of less is more. The elegant line can't be matched by anything shorter. Good post and the peering into the camera picture - sweet :)

S said...

I love maxi dresses too. That one looks great. I wish I could find one that's long enough for me... it's difficult when you're 6'

Cupcake Blonde said...

Well, I wish I could wear a dress like that but having huge boobs and nothing to support them does not work well for me. I need to wear a bra or I look like a granny with boobs hanging to my waist. So unfortunately I am in that category of women who can not wear that kind of look.

MizzJ said...

This is such great advice, you've inspired me to wear one! I'd still recommend wearing these with some sort of heel just in case the hemline is too long for flats. Pairing your maxi with a belt was a brilliant idea.

TheBeautyFile said...

I totally love this entire look! Love wanderlust- she's so beautiful!

Anonymous said...

OMG u look adorable in all the shots (especially the goofy ones :P)