Friday, June 13, 2008


First off, before I forget, I want to say that the Oat and Chocolate Fibre One bars are AWESOME! Random, yes, but as someone who has recently learned how important it is to...erm, have enough fibre in your diet, these bars are a godsend. They are sweet and chewy and just as good as any chocolate bar, with half the calories. YUM!

Ok, random food review aside, I want to update you on my job situation.

I had the interview with the film post/vfx company yesterday. Remember, it's the job I really want.

It went well. Really well. It started off kind of iffy because I started to have a coughing fit, but other than that, I couldn't have asked for a better interview. They managed to ask all the right questions, and I was prepared with all the right answers. Not only were they really nice guys, whom I would love to assist, but they seemed to be quite impressed by me.

But the end of the interview had the words I didn't want to hear, "Of course, we still have a few more people to interview" UGH "But we want to get cracking on this thing so we want to make a decision by next week."

Um, guys. I don't have next week. I have TOMORROW!

I didn't say that, maybe I should have, but when I got home I fired off an email to the HR Girl who recruited me in the first place and explained my dillema. I'm guessing that they are interviewing people today. My only hope is that everyone else sucks so badly that they have no choice but to go with me. Hopefully I will hear from her by this afternoon or sooner.

And again, even if all the other candidates don't suck balls, I think I said everything they wanted to hear, so unless there is someone who just happens to have a bit more experience or whatever, I think they would go with me.

Yet, there just might be someone that is better for the position than me, and that person will get it. There's always a huge chance I wouldn't get it for some odd anomaly.

Here's how I think it will go: Despite my email to the HR Girl, she is still going to tell me that the earliest they will know is next week. If I take the job at EA (vid game company), next week I will get a call saying that they want me. If I don't take the job at EA, I will get a call back from them saying that they went with someone else.

That's the kind of luck I have.

The more I think about it though, the video game job isn't so bad. It's really not. There are tons of fun stuff about it, and I do think I could be happy there. Plus, it's money. It's a job. And it's a cool job.

But it's not what I want to do with my life, at least, I don't think it is. Maybe I'll be wrong. But I feel like the film job is where I should be - it's an adult, "real" job that draws on all my work experience and education, whereas EA sounds like a glorified frat house.

Years ago, heck even last year, a frat house would have been fun. But I'm turning 27 this year and I feel like I should grow up.

Truth is, I don't even know what I want. Part of me gets excited about EA's perks, such as: Paid overtime!!! Two weeks vacation during my 6 months!!! $100 off a Wii!!! Free gym membership!!! Beer and cake and DJ on Fridays!!!! Walk to work!!!! Wear flip-flops to work!!!! $40 of free meals!!! Free or discounted video games!!!

Another part of me says, shouldn't I be doing something a little more meaningful? Responsible?

All kinda hard to figure out since I haven't started the job yet. Who knows, maybe it's my calling. Or maybe in 6 months, I'll start my REAL job. I dunno. And the more I think about it, the more confused I get. After all, I am right back where I started a week ago. And despite me having applied to, I dunno, around FORTY companies in the last three weeks, I have only heard back from EA, film job and that other stupid job (see previous posts). So it's not like I have other options.

I guess I'm just afraid of taking the job, starting work on Monday and then being offered the other job and having to turn it down. And then be wondering, "what if?", for my entire life.

Ironically, if I bail out on EA and end up not getting the film job as well, I'll probably be wondering "what if?" about EA. I just can't win. Too many choices spoil the broth...or something.

PS - has any of you ever taken a job and then quit right away? I know I kind of just did that with my last job lol, but I mean like quit within a few days - a week? And at a proper job, not just at like Burger King or something. Why did you do it and what were the consequences (if any)? I've sent my EA contract on to my Entertainment Law lawyer to look over and see what might happen...


JoeinVegas said...

Take the EA job. Try it for a while and after six months or so start looking for a film job. It is bad form to quit so soon.
Saying that, you do have two options:
1. Take EA job and ask to start in two weeks. If the other offer comes call EA and say sorry, no start.
2. Take EA job and if film job comes and is BETTER (much better) go ahead and leave EA. But you will never be able to apply to EA again, they will remember.
Yes, I did start a job and leave after a few weeks when one of the places I applied and interviewed came back with an offer. It is things people do, but as I said, you then cannot go back there.
There is no place where bad references are published. No one else in the world will know you quit EA in a week if you don't tell them.(except EA)

Delicieux said...

Wait and see what her response is. You'll know by her response what she's heard about your interview... if it's "oh wow. we need to act quick on this, in that case" then you know you've at least got a shot in the running... and if it's "well, we're not going to be sure until next week" then you may not have the number one spot - and there's probably a good potential that you're not going to get it.

Is there not a way you can tell the job you have to tell by tomorrow that you need another week? I mean, if they want you that bad - they'll wait for it... :)

Good luck!

WiscoBlonde said...

Can I just say I am obsessed with Fiber 1 bars!! I packed 5 boxes for my trip to Greece and had (at least) one a day! They're delicious!

Miss N said...

Take the EA job and embrace it for a while - see if it is something you will like. At least you will get experience that is useful across both the gaming field and film by production coording for them. Next time you see an opportunity for a film job you think you are perfect for then you will have great experience behind you. Plus the $$ and benefits.

Alternatively - go with your gut.

aya said...

I'm delurking because I'm currently looking for a job and completely understand the stress it can cause. My brother took a job with a big engineering company, which he liked but had to commute 2 hours each way, and then immediately got offered a job closer to where he lived. He quit within the first week of the engineering job and was afraid of the consequences but all the company said was "okay, just know that the job is here for you if you ever want to come back!". I don't know if everyone is that lucky but I'm sure it won't be as bad as you'd expect! good luck!

Girl About Town said...

I can feel your frustration, and I truly empathise with you because I have been in similar situations in the past.

The bottom line though, is that there IS no right answer. Just different options.

The only thing that glaringly stands out to me is that the EA job is not permanent, and that if you are offered a permanent job while you are working at a contract one, you are probably best leaving the contract one and going with the permanent one. And since you have said that the film one is more your 'dream' job, well that only backs that up, in my book.

No, it's not good form to leave a job if you have just been hired, but at the end of the day, you have done everything you can to avoid that situation and it's been unavoidable, yes?

Take a deep breath and go with your gut is my advice.

Best of luck and keep us posted!!

Odette said...

OOH Toughy, but I know how you feel and I really don't blame you for riding with the sure thing! Sadly that's all I've got for you! Good luck! xoxo

Kass said...

I had a job for two days, then quit. Sometimes it just has to be done. I so don't envy your decision tho, ugh. Who knows which will be better? :/