Darkhouse on Goodreads
Red Fox on Goodreads
Dead Sky Morning on Goodreads
The Benson on Goodreads
Lying Season on Goodreads
On Demon Wings on Goodreads
Old Blood on Goodreads
Into the Hollow on Goodreads


Monday, October 26, 2009

Costume How-tos: Leela and Zapp Brannigan

Leela from Futurama costume and Zapp Brannigan costume


Our Futurama Halloween costumes were a success on Saturday night - though there were a few hairy moments where I really doubted our ability to pull this off.

Actually I doubted MY ability, since I was the one who made the costumes.

Leela was actually the easiest. Comfiest costume ever, as well!

I wore my Lululemon yoga pants tucked into these buckled boots I had bought in Italy. A Forever 21 white tank top for the top. I made Leela's metal armband out of cardboard and duct tape. I bought the purple wig on Ebay and put it into a ponytail (just wish it was a darker purple).

The eye of course, was the hardest part but it ended up working out the way I wanted. Being an avid horseback rider, I immediately thought of horse fly masks - you can see out but not in. So I bought one off of Ebay. Sadly, the colour was more beige than white so after I cut out the eye shape, I filled it in with Liquid Paper.

Next I cut an elastic string into the corners and tied it around my head. The only problem there though is that it pulled the eye tight against my face which made it look flat - also the white out was pressed against my eyes and MAN does that stuff sting! I was probably getting high off of it all night.

Solution: a pair of reading glasses with the lens popped out. I wore the mask on top of that so it would stay a safe distance from my actual eyes. Success!

Zapp's was hard. The white rubber boots I had gotten off Ebay (btw VERY hard to find, especially in a size 11!). The velour (very important! Zapp and Kif's uniforms are velour...and scandalously tight!) was a red dress that my bf's mom found. I cut it short (very short...too short) and then added extra fabric at the neckline to create a turtleneck.

Next I added a girdle. Yes, Captain Zapp Brannigan wears a girdle on the show haha, and actually my bf wore my beige SPANX if you can believe it, because we needed to cover him up lest he flash someone. He could not even bend over lol.

Then came the gloves. White gloves were very hard to find. We looked everywhere. Finally I turned a pair of rubber gloves inside out and then stapled on two peices of white foam board to create the top.

I then cut out gold paper from a discarded gift bag and stapled and pinned that to his red "tunic" to create the fancy space-looking shoulders.

Interestingly enough, it was the wig that was the part that didn't really fit. We couldn't find a proper wig anywhere and ended up having to paint one.

Luckily we are dressing up again on actual Halloween, so we have this week to get the hair just right.

I guess you could say the party was a trial run...I must also mention that it was the most amazing Halloween party ever. The host must have spent a week getting it ready. It was insane the amount of detail that went into it. There was projection screens outside with the theme from Halloween and ghostly faces. There were cages with monsters inside. A spider the size of your bed. A graveyard with mist (real and fake!). A haunted maze complete with padded walls and cells. A woman that rocked back and forth and watched The Ring on repeat. A scary clown that started singing Black Sabbath when you sat down on the toilet. Totally rad.

Leela cyclops mesh eye mask from Futurama costume and Zapp Brannigan velour costume

























Spider Baby - Fantômas

PS I know I've talked about Fantomas being the best, coolest, awesome Halloween music before - If anything go download this song in full "Spider Baby" from the Director's Cut CD - you won't be disappointed. It should be up there with the Monster Mash and Thriller for everyone's Halloween - plus it has that Mike Patton charm ;)

23 comments:

GS said...

!!!!! Amazing! That looked like an awesome party too. Your guys' costumes were excellent.. that last photo is going to give me nightmares lol

Fashion Cappuccino said...

You look so sexy and crazy cool!! Thank you so much for the sweet comment and support!! I really appreciate it and it means so much that I know someone like you! xxoxoxoxo

Alice said...

omg, *i* want to go to that party! INSANE!!

your costumes look fantastic :-)

Eyeliah said...

so so impressed - the eye is what always held me back from doing this - p.s your bf's hair looks hilariousl awesome! :)

Kelly-Ann Maddox said...

I just love that cyclops mask.

Kendra said...

Those are some incredibly awesome costumes! You did an amazing job, you sho0uld be proud.

BTW, you BF has some nice legs... LOL, j/k :)

AsianCajuns said...

Wow! You guys out did yourselves. Those costumes are perfect. You totally look like Leela. I haven't watched Futurama in over a year and I recognized who you were right away (before reading the title of course).

Sierra said...

Wow, what a great costume lady, I think you probably shocked the socks off of people! Or eyes I should say, gosh that was a lame joke! Ha!

Odette said...

That was a crazy party! You guys look awesome! :) lol Spanx!

Couture Carrie said...

Fabulous costumes and pics, darling ~ you look amazing!
So creative!

xoxox,
CC

arbyn said...

Love your costumes. Haha, very creative.

elena-lu said...

y'all are so cool! yup thats all i have to say :)

Fashion Court said...

awesome costumes! sadly, i don't think i'm dressing up this year. i was alice in wonderland last year though

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

Brilliant costume! The Leela costume is amazing--you rock the one-eyed look.

Taylor Sterling said...

I love your costume!!

MS said...

Oh, I love it! How creative! You look adorable!

Dylana Suarez said...

Awesome costumes!

colormenana.blogspot.com

myedit said...

Good night! Awesome costumes... now I kinda feel like my costume for this weekend is a little meh...

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

DAMN, you are creative lady. Those costumes are freaking hysterical!!

Elizabeth, Delightfully Tacky said...

Haha! I love Futurama. These are great costumes!!

Jessi said...

You are so rad!! Very creative costume ideas - you two look awesome!!

I adore Halloween, but had the month from hell, so little to no time or money to create a sweet costume for myself... but a friend is letting me borrow her solar system outfit (the tutu has styrofoam planets on it!) so I'm good to go :)

Yay for Halloween!

Heather said...

hahaha that is a stellar effort! very creative costumes. The party looked so awesome too, over the top and rad scary :)

Stephanie said...

Those costumes are so freakin' awesome! Could you clarify again for me how you made the eye exactly? It looks better than any other leela costume I've ever seen. :D