Darkhouse on Goodreads
Red Fox on Goodreads
Dead Sky Morning on Goodreads
The Benson on Goodreads
Lying Season on Goodreads
On Demon Wings on Goodreads
Old Blood on Goodreads
Into the Hollow on Goodreads


Sunday, September 11, 2011

30 Days of Blogging: Day 11



I feel like I'm half-assing these blog posts but that's to be expected. After all, I'm having a crazy month full of peeps and fun and blogging is the last thing on my mind. I'm probably drunk 24/7 which makes it hard to buckle down and concentrate, enjoying the awesome weather and just hanging with my best friends who I haven't seen for so long.

Tonight's post is about kava. I drink kava a lot. I write on it. I discovered it when I lived in New Zealand in 2003 because my neighbours were Fijian. It's a lovely, slow high. It's like pot, but without paranoia, and gives you a clear head. It helps you sleep. Gives you vivid dreams. It just tastes like dirt.

However, I had never drunk it in the traditional sense. So Alex and Kelly broke out the kava they bought in Fiji. We had a dinner party while they stirred together a huge pot of the drink. Then we all took turns drinking the kava. Men first, a clap and a "bula" followed by drinking the kava out of a coconut shell. Everyone claps three times. And then you drink. Women are next.

There were seven of us taking part, passing the cup around. Brought a little bit of the south pacific to our steamy, hot Vancouver apartment.

1 comment:

Susanne said...

Oh god, kava is pretty awful! We'd drink it occasionally in Samoa for ceremonies, but very rarely to get intoxicated. My friend who lived in Vanuatu would drink it a lot as beer was too expensive!

I think it's been a couple of years since I read your blog - congrats on writing your novels, awesome work!