Darkhouse on Goodreads
Red Fox on Goodreads
Dead Sky Morning on Goodreads
The Benson on Goodreads
Lying Season on Goodreads
On Demon Wings on Goodreads
Old Blood on Goodreads
Into the Hollow on Goodreads


Monday, March 22, 2010

Lindis Pass - my magical place

OK. I'm completely hi-jacking my Music Mondays post on the Gorillaz because I really wanted to show you some photos of a mystical, magical spot on the South Island of New Zealand. I promise to get to my music sensibilities next week, however I was perusing my NZ photos and shots of this place kept bringing me back.

Lindis Pass is nothing special, really. It's just a mountain pass between Queenstown and Twizel. But ever since I saw a picture of the bleek hills and winding roads in a guidebook TEN YEARS AGO, I've been strangely drawn to the place.

Finally in December I got to experience the pass first hand as we drove in our $2 SUV on a gorgeously sunny day up to Twizel.

Again, the pass is just a bunch of rolling hills of dry tussock grass. But just like I have been drawn to the deserts and the craggy bare peaks around Palm Desert, so am I drawn to these. I guess growing up in a wonderfully green place, surrounded by acres of tall trees, there is something novel and whimsical about mountains in which you can actually see the ground and every waning nook and cranny, every fold, cavern and cliff.

In this case, the grass is browner on the other side.



Heading there, leaving the Queenstown area






Taken from the speeding car - took my breath away












M-Patt checks it out





Passing through: out of Lindis Pass and onto the flat plains on the other side. Next stop, Twizel.

14 comments:

daisychain said...

you say nothing special...I say holy beautiful!

Mummerina said...

another place to add to my new zealand ,just see list

Michelle said...

I ADORE the South island. I recent returned from a 4 week train trip around Europe, and although some of the scenery was stunning (skiing in Germany, lunch above Interlaken in the winter... gorgeous) nothing took my breath away the way that the NZ south island did.

We drove around the place for two weeks and I wanted to photograph or film every second to try and remember the scale and beauty of everything. I was doubly fascinated because I live in Australia, and NZ is obviously our closest neighbour.. but can you find two countries who seem so geographically different? It's amazing.

We did a Spring trip last time and I really want to do a winter ski trip in Wanaka or Queenstown next time. But then I'm conscious that alot of the most gorgeous road trips could be blocked by the snow! Such a conundrum

Thanks for making me smile today you lovely thing! I needed it. :)

Panty Buns said...

Wow, that is really BIG country! Beautiful.

♥ Marta ♥ said...

OOh wow...it is so stunning!!!!

-Marta

AsianCajuns (Cath) said...

WOW - how gorgeous! I've never been anywhere that looked like that. Maybe someday I'll make it to Lindis Pass - until then I'm going to live vicariously through you and your blog.

Unknown said...

Yep - she is a nice place.

I have towed a caravan through there each year for the past 5 years.

And driving through there when its snowing is magical (I have photos)

Romantic bed and breakfasts said...

This is a very beautiful, delightful and an adorable destination as well, which is very enticing and exciting with its natural and ravishing beauty and attractiveness for sure.

Moreover, you must visit Virginia, The Shenandoah Valley where you must see the very marvelous destination to visit Wood Ruff Inns Resorts. It is the best place to spend your vacations, honey moons and special holidays.

Linda Love said...

to me, there´s always something special, strangely attracting about these raw mountain passes as well.
p.s. did you see orks? ; )

Sierra said...

Oh wow I love all of these shots, especially the one where you can see your camera in your car window. I love these passes and all of the scenery, can't wait to see Twizel!

Anonymous said...

Gosh, those pictures are truly beautiful! It looks like you had a lot of fun! :)


MELANIELIKES.BLOGSPOT.COM
Follow?<3

The Budget Babe said...

so jealous. these landscapes are breathtaking!

Jocy said...

It's always interesting to note what terrains, what cities, what countries draw us in. I love it when I'm surprised by how enchanting a place is.

The Reids said...

I drive through Lindis pass each year, as we annually trek across the ditch to the beautiful South Island. It never ceases to take my breath away. I too have travel through Europe including Switzerland and Austria but have never found anywhere as breath-takingly beautiful as New Zealand's South Island