Darkhouse on Goodreads
Red Fox on Goodreads
Dead Sky Morning on Goodreads
The Benson on Goodreads
Lying Season on Goodreads
On Demon Wings on Goodreads
Old Blood on Goodreads
Into the Hollow on Goodreads


Thursday, August 31, 2006

Like a boat out of water


This is me, blissfully unemployed and worry-free.

OK...that's a lie.

While I am trying to enjoy my vacation away from work, I can feel tiny worries creeping up on me. Such as, I have no money. I have no money to eat, no money for gas, and worst of all, no money for SHOPPING!!! And it's not even like I have a credit card to fall back on cuz that's maxed out. And the loan I applied for was turned down (somehow the bank thought that it wasn't a good idea to lend me a pittance of 3000, cuz, you know, I do have a house and a car but apparently they just want to know if you pay your bills on time...ahhh, screw that.)

Yesterday I went to Granville Island via the ferries (for the 2nd day in a row) to watch my dad's boat being lowered into the water. It was dry-docked so that the propellers, keel and and other bits would be in fine working form for its trip down to Mexico.

Which my dad might not take now. He's having second thoughts about the whole thing, ten days before he is set to set sail. I guess, like me, he too is feeling a bit like a fish out of water. He's got the experience to do it, but in his retired years, I think real fear is setting in. We should know shortly if he is going to go or not.

I think he should go. Not only because I think he might live to regret it (even if he does reschedule the trip for next year), but because I really wanted to go to Mexico for Xmas. Sailing around the azure waters of the Sea of Cortez...that's a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Luckily, life abounds with quite a few once-in-a-lifetime opportunities.

3 comments:

almost famous kiwi said...

Oh yes I remember the unemployed days, sitting at the dock with daddys boat, planning trips to Mexico...oh wait....thats not me, Im the one sitting at the polluted river planning trips to the supermarket and praying for sales on non perishables. Dammit! hehe, but lets look on the bright side, we're poor, but we're sexy! And sex sells, but dont sell sex cos then you'll be a whore and thats not sexy. But on a serious note, enjoy this, Im serious, everything is a test in life so dont fail it by worrying, just have faith and keep smiling and see whats going to happen, I promis it'll be worth it.

Anonymous said...

yeah and you'll have a fellow poor shopaholic living just down the street tomorrow!!

simon said...

nice yacht. what size? 50 foot? uncle of mine did all that.. now own 60ft grand banks motor cruisers.. :o)