Darkhouse on Goodreads
Red Fox on Goodreads
Dead Sky Morning on Goodreads
The Benson on Goodreads
Lying Season on Goodreads
On Demon Wings on Goodreads
Old Blood on Goodreads
Into the Hollow on Goodreads


Thursday, July 31, 2008

EMPLOYED - but where?


So I deleted my last post because I finally have things figured out (note the calm, serene look on my face).

Well, I have things figured out as much as I can - after all, no one knows anything (especially me) and there's no such thing as a yadda yadda yadda.

Basically, I am employed. Yay? No really, should be YAY! BUT I can't really get excited yet.

I can be relieved. I no longer have to look for jobs. Even though by some sick habit, I am still looking for jobs. I guess its hard to go from three months of checking out at least 6 of your favourite job websites several times a day to...not.

I was offered the contract job as you all know. And I am waiting to hear back about the permanent job. I will know about that one tomorrow and I managed to stall the contract job till tomorrow as well. Which means its a fairly win-win situation. If I get the permanent job, then YAY! Big yays! I can regretfully turn down the other job and I am on my merry little way. If I DON'T get the permanent job, I still have the contract job.

Which means I start work on Tuesday. AH!

Of course, I am not counting on the permanent position - I don't count on anything and a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, no matter how badly you want the bush bird. Honestly, I don't think I will get it. The interview didn't go as well as I would have hoped, they were a lot more serious than I thought they would be (esp for an entry-level position) and I don't really think I won them over. Maybe my handwritten thank you notes will win them over? Maybe not.

And the worst sign of all: They never asked for my references!!

So what I have been trying to do is getting myself psyched up about the job I DO have. And it's really not all that bad. Everything about it sounds awesome except of course for the 1)low pay and 2)temporacy. But if I have to look on the bright side, and tomorrow I will, the guy (my boss?) did say "My hope would be that after the duration of this contract we could keep you on in a different capacity within the company but naturally, at this stage, it is too early to say for sure."

That was nice to hear - maybe I'll get paid more, maybe I'll be permanent but I'll take it with a grain of salt. Maybe in two months I'll want to find another job and with new experience, maybe I'll have an easier time.

Anyhoo so that's my dilemma, solved. Now we play the damn waiting game. I guess it's just till tomorrow but today is going to take F O R E V E R.

And this brings me to a new problem. This weekend is a long weekend and worst case scenario, I start work on Tuesday. So, with half a Thursday and a full-Friday left, what should I do to enjoy my last days of freedom? I am going camping this weekend too which is awesome BUT since I no longer have job-hunting to occupy my time....well...what should I be doing?

I already slept till 11AM, so that takes care of that indulgence...

4 comments:

Bittersweet Confusion said...

Good luck girly girl! My job started off as a temp position and I've been here for 9 years! Keep Hope alive!

WiscoBlonde said...

I'm glad things seem to be working out! Congrats!

P.S. - I love the photo with you in the grass. So awesome!

kimberlie said...

i agree- awesome photo!

Hmmm, well you have slept, so now i would watch dodgy dvds and paint my toe nails.

Unknown said...

Ahh this is terrible but I NEVER check applicants references. Probably why I have just had to fire an assistant on Friday. Hmmm... must rethink that policy!