Darkhouse on Goodreads
Red Fox on Goodreads
Dead Sky Morning on Goodreads
The Benson on Goodreads
Lying Season on Goodreads
On Demon Wings on Goodreads
Old Blood on Goodreads
Into the Hollow on Goodreads


Monday, December 11, 2006

Lisa it's your birthday, happy birthday Lisa

Yup. The rumours are true. My name is Lisa. Actually, that's a lie, but it is my birthday today.

That's right, on December 11th, 1981 I was born onto this Earth for some reason I am not sure of yet but hope to figure out one day.

In other words, I am 25. And I am old.

Yes, yes I know that 25 isn't that old...although I just got off the phone with my mother who said (with all sincerity) "Yup, you are getting up there." And I know once I get to 30 (AHHHHHH) I'll probably say "Why didn't I appreciate how young 25 really is." And I'll probably say that every birthday after that until the day I die. Unless they some how find out a way to reverse the aging process and my birthdays will start going backwards instead of forwards.

It could happen.

One of the weirdest things I'm finding about turning 25, or just getting older in general, is that I am still the same person. I mean, when I was 15 and looking ten years into the future, I imagined that I would act differently, think differently...that I wouldn't be me. And though I know I have changed a million times over, I still don't feel any different.

Anyway, it's not so much the fact that I am 25 but that I am 25 and nothing to show for it. Years ago, while looking towards my 25 birthday, I always thought I would be a published author (well, I have had articles published but that doesn't count...I'm talking more in a novely sense) or would have finally sold my first script. Or at least been in a career that was going somewhere. Or at least been in a career.

But alas, I am 25, unemployed and trying to force myself to finish my corespondance so I can recieve my damn Bachelor of Journalism sometime soon. I did have a "promising" job while I worked at the IFA and was the company's writer/editor and on camera "personality" but that turned out to be too good to be true and I quit/got laid off because my boss was a wretched human being. I did get a lot of experience out of it and for that I am thankful but how odd was it for me to follow it up with a temp job at EA Games working on NBA Live for Playstation 3. Not exactly a career-furthering move but I enjoyed it.

Still, I suppose another way to look at this is just to say my career is on hiatus. After all, there was no way I could get a job when I went to Mexico for 16 days, PLUS the fact that in ten days I am going to Europe for two weeks. Then when I get back, I have to study like a madwoman in order to finish my correspondance. After that though, I will be ready to re-enter the job market. Considering I am a slacker, getting a job is something I am oddly looking forward to.

Another thing is, most 25-year olds are already moving up the career-ladder and all that stuff. But when you think of it, they probably went to University straight outta high school and then went on to work a few "starter" jobs before finding their career grove.

What did I do?

I did one year of college and then said "Fuck this shit! I'm off to see the world!"

I backpacked, by myself, at the innocent age of 18 around New Zealand and Australia for 6 life-changing months. When I got back, I took up my first full-time job at a department store downtown and started going to Vancouver Film School for Make-up Artistry, Film Production and Screenwriting. The screenwriting bit stuck with me so much that I continued on my studies in that field and actually had a wee bit of a promising career going.

But after being slightly screwed over by a movie producer (the bastards), I decided a secondary career might be needed. Thus I was off to Auckland, New Zealand to obtain a Communications degree over a three-year period. But despite having the best year of my life and meeting some of the greatest people I will ever meet (Kelly, Titus, Meag I love you guys), I felt like it was time to go home. I hightailed it back to Canada on a whim and went to Journalism school in Craploops, BC. After slacking and procrastinating my way through the course (and taking a three month solo backpacking trip through Europe), I finally finished.

Or at least I should have, if only the stupid chairperson didn't tell me at the last minute "Oh, by the way, you are four classes short of graduating, not all your credits from New Zealand transfered through." The bastards.

So here I am. I guess when you look at it, if I had gone straight to University after high school, I probably would have a career, yes. But it would be a career I hate because, let's face it, who knows what they truly want to be straight outta high school? I still don't know. So in the long run, I'm probably better off just entering the "real world" now, because if I did it any sooner, I would have missed out on all my travels and adventures. And that is something I couldn't live without.

So to sum this long-winded post up? It's my birthday and I can cry if I want to. I wish I had something to show for these 25 years (aside from a wonderful boyfriend, fabulous friends, insane parents, amazing travels and owning my apartment)...but on the other hand, I wouldn't change anything for the world.


Awww, isn't this sweet? Someone from Post Secret wished me a happy birthday!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to tonight because I'm having a birthday dinner/drinks thing at Balthazaar tonight and am seeing some friends I haven't seen for a very long time. And, if any of you are reading this, I promise to buck up but only if you ply me with Kir Royales and get a fat, white Michael Jackson to sing me a song.

22 comments:

Kass said...

Happy Birthday Grandma!! :D *birthday hugs*

Thor Harley said...

Well I only started working at 26. Many of my friends only emerged from studying and globe-trotting in their late twenties and found gainful employment nonetheless. A lot of companies (here at least) are unlikely to hire anyone under 25 anyway. So relax, and happy birthday.

simon said...

Happy birthday!!! Do not worry about getting old.

Life is about gaining experiences and quality.

I see by your adventures that you are way ahead of a lot of people.

Is life about 9-5, steady job until you are 65? Ha! not for everyone!

If you can comine your hobbies with work you have got it made! So....

I am positivly ancient ( by your definition).. yet I am not really any different to how i was at 25. In fact I would say its better...

Soooo, quarkman is right! Enjoy.

Life is a big adventure! :o)

Anonymous said...

HaPpY BiRtHdAy...
I hope your day and the next year is filled with lots of happiness and goodtimes!!!!
You've got soooo much more life experience than some 25year olds..so don't for a minuet feel bad that you don't have a 'career'... because most twenty somethings will change careers sometime in their 20's anyways.

almost famous kiwi said...

Happy birthday hun! 25 is an awesome number! When I turn 25 I'll be in the same place as you, just out of uni and looking for a career, and probably trying to get a visa oh joy.
I think you've done amazing things in your 25 years, you've travelled the world (including that great year on the most beautiful island in the world with the wonderful Robsons) you've met so many people, gotten an education (a few actually) you got to meet me, and that's worth waiting 100 years for, you found your prince charming and you have the world at your feet. I guarantee that there are many 25 year olds out there who wish they were in your position. So enjoy it hun cos you deserve it. Love you!

Indiana said...

Damn you are old ~grin~

Happy Birthday...the worse thing about getting old is that the hangovers last longer.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY....and I remember the simpsons episode happy 'Birthday Lisa' sung by a Polish Michael Jackson LOL

Bird said...

Happy Birthday to you,
happy bithday to you,
happy birthday dear wanderlusting,
happy birthday to you!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a great night!

Bird said...

oh yeah, and just wait to see how you will feel when you are 1218 days away from being 30, eeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

j;ljk said...

Happy Birthday! I think it's amazing that you went to travel by yourself for 6 months, I really admire you for that. After going to Thailand this summer, I've been bitten by the travel bug and I really think the most important thing in life is to see the world. I'm one of those people who went to college straight out of high school (I'm only in my second year), and I think you're right. Most people don't know what they really want, and it's difficult since we have to choose within such a short period of time. So, I think you actually have a lot to show for being 25!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday you quarter-centurian you!! Just think, only 3 more of your lifetimes and you'll be 100!!! WHOOOO!!

You're the hottest 25 year old this side of Grande Cache!

This whole "grande" thing is annoying eh...eat some damned cake!

M said...

happy birthday!!!

Let me tells ya, 30 looks a whole lot worse when you're staring down the barrel of nearly-29. oh dear. Enjoy 25, it's a good age! :)

surfercam said...

Happy Birthday!
Enjoy!
Margaritas all round!!!!

Cupcake Blonde said...

Happy Happy Birthday!!

And if you think 25 is old, wait until you turn 29.

Funny, when I turned 25 it was a huge year for me...moved back home, got married and moved to Vegas, three things I NEVER thought I would do. EVER. So your plans change, so what!! You have more life experience than anyone I know. The things you have seen and done in those years between high school and now will be with you forever and are experiences that shaped you to be the person you are today.

Besides, you are going to be in Europe for New Year's...things can't be that bad!

simon said...

hey.. why don't you visit her other blog about travel?? :o)

great colour .. photos etc...

Unknown said...

Hoppy Burpday, Lusty.

How are those Kir Royales feeling today?

Whatdidjaget? Whatdidjaget?

-Wombat

Anonymous said...

don't just celebrate for one day... it's your birthmonth so you get all of December to party and play!

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday!

You aren't old!!
I'm turning 24 in January!
My boyfriend is turning 28 in May.
Well, He's old.
;)

Anonymous said...

darn. 25 is old?? i must be ancient! :P

happy birthday! and have an extra drink for me!

Wanderlusting said...

Wow thanks you guys! I don't feel AS old now ;) But I do feel hungover as hell. Barf.

Anonymous said...

I give you a piece of advice (or a statement, anyway)that has been passed from my grandmother to my mother to me:

It's not a race.

HBD.

jeff and ross said...

(Ross)
Crap. I thought I was winning.