Darkhouse on Goodreads
Red Fox on Goodreads
Dead Sky Morning on Goodreads
The Benson on Goodreads
Lying Season on Goodreads
On Demon Wings on Goodreads
Old Blood on Goodreads
Into the Hollow on Goodreads


Friday, October 27, 2006

Scary Stuff

Getting into the Halloween spirit, I was trying to think of movie I could rent that would scare the shit out of me.

There were some usual suspects like The Shining and The Excorcist. But most of the titles that flashed through my mind were kid's movies. Either movies I found scary as a child, or movies that weren't meant to scare children. In my clouded memory, it's hard to tell the difference. Was I really supposed to be scared of the little midget people in Willow? So I decided to compile a list of movies that freaked me out as a child, unintentionally or not. Some of these films I would like to watch, just to see if the scare tactics still work...I did that with Poltergeist last year and found while the guy ripping apart his face in the bathroom was scary, the tree reaching into the window and grabbing the boy was not.

Anyways, here it goes...

Unintentionally Scary Films:

The Never Ending Story - That dog was freaky!

Labyrinth - Hands grabbing her: Scary! Muppets juggling their heads: Disturbing! Eyes in wall: Creepy! David Bowie in Spandex: oddly mezmerizing.

Return to Oz - And this is supposed to be a children's film? I watched this high on mushrooms once and let me tell you...it's not for kids!

CareBears the Movie and the Sequel - Shut up. It had scary bits.

Jacobs Ladder - Don't think that was a kid's film.

The Witches - Anjelica Houston at her scariest.

Twilight Zone the Movie - Theeeeeeeeeere's. Some. Thing. OnTheWing. (ditto for The Simpson's version)

Aracnophobia - Need I say more?

The Secret of Nimh
- There is something mildly disturbing about that film. Just so....uneasy.

Lost Highway - Again, not a child's film. But Robert Blake with no eyebrows is scary as hell.

Jurassic Park - Raptors will haunt your dreams!

Ghostbusters - There was something in her fridge...

Dumbo - Shut up. Don't tell me you weren't scared by the psychotic Pink Elephants on Parade.

The Birds - His eyes were pecked out!

Flight of the Navigator - The 1st half of the movie was creeeeepy.

The Last Unicorn - Weird, trippy stuff.

****

On a lighter note, we did some pumpkin carving last night. It was Ross's first time (apparently they carve turnips in Scotland) and I must admit...

His half of the pumpkin did turn out better than mine.

I tend to get a bit hasty and impatient and seem to plan without much thought to the physics and dynamics of pumpkin carving.








But in the end, I think we did OK. His is the pretty, cute looking pumpkin and mine is the demented looking one that has gigantism on one side of it's face.

Well, I'm off to start preparing for my party. If anyone knows of any fun Halloween games (anything that can be turned into a drinking game) please let me know. I don't know what I'm going to do with all these people in my wee studio apartment.

6 comments:

Janellerific said...

I sure wish I was having a Halloween party...I sure wish I'd arrange this stuff prior to Friday evening. *le sigh* I am going to be an evil Ladybug now...instead of black spots I'm going to have black skulls for spots. I'm making costumes for the kittens this afternoon...
I have yet to decide what they are going to be. Have fun at your party!!! Scare some children for me!!

Anonymous said...

I remember a wolf at one point in The Neverending Movie, that is what scared me most.

*Great get together at your place Karina... your costume was amazing.
Sorry for the *wetspot on your couch, I tried to clean it.

Anonymous said...

What 'bout BAMBI? yes i agree with DUMBO. that scene was so out of place. And how 'bout sleeping beauty? that dragon! OR the live action ALICA IN WONDERLAND? SOOOOO creepy the end!

Anonymous said...

retarded pumpkins are the best part of halloween.

I agree wuth anon: BOTH Alice in Wonderlands are fucked up.

Sean said...

you seemed fairly well adjusted until i read your list of unintentionally scary movies...

Wanderlusting said...

Yes. Seemed is always the key word here.