Darkhouse on Goodreads
Red Fox on Goodreads
Dead Sky Morning on Goodreads
The Benson on Goodreads
Lying Season on Goodreads
On Demon Wings on Goodreads
Old Blood on Goodreads
Into the Hollow on Goodreads


Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Coachella (Clusterfuckchella) Festival - Day One

It was hard to get up after the awesomeness that was meeting Mike Patton (again) and the Faith No More concert (again) in San Francisco. I think we stumbled back from the Warfield theatre at around 3AM and crawled into bed, my heading already pounding in advance from the Patton-induced head injury and the fact that I had a few drinks.

The next morning though there was no time to stay in bed and nurse my head - we had BART trip to the airport, then a car to rent and a LONG drive to make to the Coachella festival, just outside of Palm Springs.

Photobucket

Photobucket

We (my bf and I and two FNM fan/friends) took turns driving on the epic journey, stopping only for food and gas and getting lost several times.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Turn-offs in California just aren't well-marked and despite our vow to NOT go through LA, we ended up accidently doing that anyway. Pasadena traffic at rush-hour is NOT fun.

Photobucket

We did make it eventually but it was about 8 at night. Not exactly the "nice, relaxing day in Palm Springs" I first had in mind. Oh well. Next time.

Next morning of course was COACHELLA, DAY ONE. We headed off to the festival, which was about 10 min by car...only the traffic was seriously backed up to our hotel. We took a side route and got there quickly.

Then came time to wait to get into the parking lot...luckily it didn't take us too long, though we were placed in the farthest lot from the venue. I heard of other people waiting for HOURS to get into the parking areas - people were literally running out of gas, cars were overheating, etc. So we were lucky as we could be.

Photobucket

So after an extremely long walk to the festival area, we were in a clusterfuck crowd of people in non-existent lines for about an hour. And it was hot out. Hot, hot, heat. I don't mind crowds but when you can't see a way out and you're standing for an hour and it's 90 degrees...well, then it's annoying.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Turns out there were MANY problems that day... scanners weren't working, volunteers ran out of wristbands, tons of people were sold fake-tickets, people were climbing the fence and breaking in, etc.

Anyway, after getting our wristbands finally (and seeing about five different girls collapse from the heat... and probably drugs, even though it was 2PM) and passing through TWO security checkpoints (they confiscated my 100 calorie bag of almonds!) we were finally let into the Polo Fields.

Photobucket

Photobucket

First stop for me was to hit up the merch table. They all sell out by nighttime and I wanted a band shirt. I picked up a Them Crooked Vultures tank top (one of my fav bands) and promptly put it on ontop of my dress. The outfit I had picked out looked fine back at home, but now that I was here, it looked unflattering and out of place. Besides... gotta show my band support!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

First show we caught was a bit of Street Sweeper Social Club on the main stage, but the main draw for us was Dillinger Escape Plan in the Gobi tent which melted my ears off. They were amazing, such showmen and I swear their singer was a monkey.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I was secretly hoping that Mike Patton would come on stage and sing because he did during their Irony is a Dead Scene EP but alas that didn't happen.

Despite the fact that Mike Patton was actually standing in the VIP section to the side of the stage and watching them!! But I guess he's allowed to not be in every single band and I'm glad he was enjoying the show.

After DEP, we wandered around a bit, overwhelmed by the crowd (they sold an extra 15K tickets than normal which wasn't a good thing), ate some food (huge baked yam with brown sugar and butter), drank some beer and watched The Specials on the mainstage.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then came one of the bands I was most excited about seeing: Them Crooked Vultures.

Photobucket

What happens when you combine three of my favourite bands together (Queens of the Stone Age, Foo Fighters and Led Zep)? TCV. Though the album is very QOTSA (which is one reason why I love it) it's got that John Paul Jones Led Zep touch.

Photobucket

And of course, seeing three of my most fav musicians on stage at once was nothing short of amazing: John Paul Jones on Bass, Josh Homme on guitar and vocals and Dave Grohl on drums. They are both SO very good at what they do. Homme's voice is lovely, Grohl's drumming is outer worldly, it's that good, and JPJ plays every instrument known to man and does it so smoothly, so effortlessly.

Photobucket

Photobucket

And the sound was incredible. JPJ's bass and Grohl's drums just reached out to you and shook you. It made such songs as Gunman (OMG, SO GOOD), Mind Eraser and Scumbag Blues (JPJ's bass ...speechless) stand the fuck out. My only complaint was that they played Spinning in the Daffodils when they should have played Reptiles or Elephants, but not biggie. I'm sure I'll catch them again soon.

If you're so inclined, watch this video, the jamming beginning to Spinning in the Daffodils (sorry shitty sound) complete with moody, blowing fog machine:



After the excellence of TCV, we checked out Little Dragon for a bit in the Gobi. I really liked her on the new Gorillaz album and she was really neat to watch live. It was a great set to catch and a nice surprise.

Photobucket

Then finally, as the day was drawing to an end we caught Jay-Z.

Photobucket

Highly cool to watch. I'm not a rap person, but I did enjoy his latest CD and though Rhianna didn't come out to do Run This Town, Alicia Keyes did come out to do Empire State of Mind, and his Canuck buddy Drake was there too.

Photobucket

Even freakin wife Beyonce came out for a duet... by then though we had made our way back to the car to beat the crowd and rest up for Muse and Faith No More the next day!

Photobucket

11 comments:

Mummerina said...

i love the dress! what label is it?
great festival outfit

the pedigree artist said...

I found your blog through Twitter (I search Josh Homme). And I loved your pictures and actually I didn't feel that jealous of you as you described the festival and how hot it was. LOVE LOVE TVC!! I can't wait to see your post a bout day 2!
-Christine

BrattyV said...

Yaaaay!! Nice review you did!!

I saw the Dillinger Escape Plan about three months ago in Paris and they were freaking awesome!! I'm going to see them again this September in a bigger place.

You seemed to have lotsa fun in Coachella. I'm really hasty to cheer Them Crooked Vultures (I'm also going to see them too in Paris). Can't wait for that and also for the Day 2

Greetings from France, Nessie

Kelly said...

It looks like a ton of fun! I've always wished I had the stamina for multi-day multi-band events like this.

Heather said...

Awesome recap! Glad you survived the heat, traffic and crowds and had fun! :)

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

The last music fest I went to was the Warped Tour last summer. It was HOT! I so should've rocked a floppy hat!

Couture Carrie said...

So fun, darling!
Thanks for sharing these pics!

xoxox,
CC

Sarah Von Bargen said...

Wow. Deeply, deeply jealous, missy!

I just wanted to pop over and thank you for entering the giveaway for my Karma Cards on the Daisy Chain blog. We have a few sets left if you're still keen! (cough, shameless self-promotion, cough) ;)

Marta from With Love... said...

That looks like soo much fun :)Definitely one of the things on my to-do list.

P.S. you look absolutely fabulous!

-Marta

Anonymous said...

You badass. A. I love your total honesty in this post, it was so refreshing. Every other Coachella post is too hip for its own good. You earned those big smiles in every photo!

Excellent taste in music, btw.

Thanks for sharing all these pics. Totally transporting. :)

-Carey

Anonymous said...

oops. My 'B' was the music part. I forgot I was making a list, which is sleepy of me.