Darkhouse on Goodreads
Red Fox on Goodreads
Dead Sky Morning on Goodreads
The Benson on Goodreads
Lying Season on Goodreads
On Demon Wings on Goodreads
Old Blood on Goodreads
Into the Hollow on Goodreads


Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Looking back


As Summer slowly comes to a close, I can't help but look back to where it all started. I guess for me, Summer officially began at the end of April when I flew to Spain to partake in a two-week Spanish holiday. 4 days of that was me walking around Madrid, looking confused, then a week of me "teaching" English to Spaniards in the wee village of La Alberca, then another 5 days of wandering around Madrid. Only that last bit involved a footy match, shopping, partying and trapaising the streets of the old city with foreigners.

For those of you who don't know anything about the program, I have to HIGHLY reccomend that you do it. Operated by Pueblo Ingles, the program consists of one week of volunteer work. You teach (more like drink and party) with business-minded Spaniards for 8 hours a day, helping them learn better English (and watch your own English go down the drain while you are at it). In exchange for your hard-earned hangover, you get a week of room and board. That's a pristine hotel room all to yourself, plus a three-course meal for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I must add that there is a seemingly unlimited jug of wine with your lunch and dinner (thank God for the Siesta afterwards), plus tons of free activities and cultural excursions.

Elena and I, sitting around and doing nothing at La Alberca
This was one of the best experiences of my life, and one of the best ways to start the Summer of 2006. The best part is that the experiences still live on. Elena (pictured above) is coming for a visit in a few weeks, Tomas has already been here and Taryn and Jaime are returning home to BC after they spent the Summer storming Europe.

If anyone is interested, visit their website. They also have places in Tuscany and Umbria in Italy, which I heard is bella.

No comments: